    SubjectRe: [patch-2.3.47] /proc/driver/microcode -> /dev/cpu/microcode
       Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 07:55:56 +1100
    From: Richard Gooch <rgooch@atnf.csiro.au>

    > As far as devfs not having to be mounted over /dev, if we *are*
    > going to move to a world where for certain functionality devfs is
    > mandatory, it would be useful to standardize using a standard
    > pathname for accessing devfs --- say, /devfs. If you do want to
    > mount devfs over /dev, then /devfs can be a symlink to /dev. If you
    > don't want to mount devfs over /dev, then devfs can just be mounted
    > on top of /devfs.

    Yes, that would work.

    > This way, application programs that need fixed, compiled-in paths
    > can just use /devfs and be guaranteed to work on both kinds of
    > systems.

    The way I envisioned it, a disc-based /dev would have (for example)
    /dev/cpu being a symlink to $devfsroot/cpu
    Having two hierarchies encoded isn't good.

    I'd much prefer the "/devfs" solution. That means one symlink for folks
    who want to use devfs, and one mountpoint for folks who don't.

    Compare this to how many symlinks we would need to put into /dev in the
    non-devfs case, assuming that people start moving into kitchen sink into
    devfs, and it's just not pretty.

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.019 / U:29.556 seconds]