    SubjectRe: [patch-2.3.47] /proc/driver/microcode -> /dev/cpu/microcode
    Hi Ted.

    >> The way I envisioned it, a disc-based /dev would have (for
    >> example) /dev/cpu being a symlink to $devfsroot/cpu Having
    >> two hierarchies encoded isn't good.

    > I'd much prefer the "/devfs" solution. That means one symlink
    > for folks who want to use devfs, and one mountpoint for folks
    > who don't.

    > Compare this to how many symlinks we would need to put into /dev
    > in the non-devfs case, assuming that people start moving into
    > kitchen sink into devfs, and it's just not pretty.

    Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but if the two heirarchies are
    close enough together for a /dev/fs -> /dev symlink to work, they're
    presumably also close enough for a /dev -> /devfs symlink to work?

    If so, what's the point of this argument?

    Best wishes from Riley.

    * Copyright (C) 1999, Memory Alpha Systems.
    * All rights and wrongs reserved.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.019 / U:129.108 seconds]