SubjectRe: accept() improvements for rt signals

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> > The kernel does not have to search the fd array to find the smallest
> > free fd value.
> Genuis. Pure genuis. Another bottleneck hits the dust. :)

ok the clone-like flags are great, but i think the newfd is a mistake (and
i'm regretting that i'm the one who suggested it :)

in general, apps still need to use open(), and folks doing proxying (such
as an HTTP proxy sitting in front of a heterogeneous collection of
webservers, which is an increasingly common configuration) use socket() to
get new sockets for outgoing connections regularly.

i think it's better to have a per-task setting which means "use a fd free
list and don't guarantee me any lowest numbered fd semantics please".

p.s. i've brought up the tcp proxy as an important application in the past
and it's been pooh-poohed... but it's becoming more important. apache is
a monolithic server and it's becomming more and more difficult to link in
everyone's favourite library. a much more scalable (in the software
management sense) approach is to use a bunch of distinct webservers, each
handling a portion of a urlspace. the direction things are headed is that
we'll have a very efficient front-end HTTP proxy/cache which communicates
with several backend dynamic servers. see zach's phhttpd work for