    SubjectRe: accept() improvements for rt signals
    Dean Gaudet wrote:
    > i think it's better to have a per-task setting which means "use a fd free
    > list and don't guarantee me any lowest numbered fd semantics please".

    That has problems if you link with a library that requires the lowest
    numbered fd semantic. I'm guessing mod_perl is such a library, if you
    have a script which spawns another process. Sure you can fix the
    library, but what happens when you're simply calling code you don't want
    to change?

    Perhaps a socket option on the listening socket would be better.

    > p.s. i've brought up the tcp proxy as an important application in the past
    > and it's been pooh-poohed... but it's becoming more important. apache is
    > a monolithic server and it's becomming more and more difficult to link in
    > everyone's favourite library. a much more scalable (in the software
    > management sense) approach is to use a bunch of distinct webservers, each
    > handling a portion of a urlspace. the direction things are headed is that
    > we'll have a very efficient front-end HTTP proxy/cache which communicates
    > with several backend dynamic servers. see zach's phhttpd work for
    > example.

    One day this will be called "layer 5 routing" and every switch worth
    paying for will do it in hardware... :-)

    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.023 / U:0.084 seconds]