SubjectStrangeness of Display of Conner CFS540A disk at Boot on 2.2.14
Date
I have been working on Converting from 2.0.35 to 2.2.14 in order to support
greater than 16MB of Storage on my Compaq P.C.

During my testing of 2.2.14, I've noticed that some of my error messages appear
to be Hard Drive related.

I then noticed a strange difference in the /var/log/messages file between these
two Releases:

1. On 2.0.35, approximately 40 lines after the Boot, I get the following
message:
hda: Conner Peripherals 540 MB - CFS540A, 516MB w/64kB Cache,
CHS=1596/13/51
This all looks correct to me.

2. On 2.2.14, at the same place in the Log, I only get the following message:
hda: 233MB, CHS=720/13/51

Not only is the Cylinder number wrong, but I also feel that since none of the
descriptive information is displayed, the Kernel may not be recognizing my true
Hardware and instead is using some type of defaulted IDE Driver.

Would any one be able to tell my why i'm not getting the same information in
both Systems?
Would someone tell me if I'm doing something wrong when chosing a Kernel
Option that is causing this problem?

Thanking everyone in advance for their ideas on solving this problem.

Yours truly,

Frank Krauss

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.096 / U:0.432 seconds]