SubjectRe: Total And Complete Wackyness
Date
In article <linux.kernel.880b2g$ani$1@node.matrix.fire>,
<jmcmullan@linuxcare.com> wrote:

> Have I bitten off more than I can chew, or is protocol layering
>over block devices REALLY possible?

There's precedent for it; other operating systems have implemented
driver overlays (and did it quite some time ago). It would be VERY
useful for install floppies, too -- build a block driver that talks
directly to bios interrupts, use that to mount the install media,
then overlay the native drivers over it when you can access media
that's larger than 1.44mb (and with that, you can also discard the
initrd kludge and use a different bios driver to load the installer
off the floppy analogue de jour)

____
david parsons \bi/ Insert muttering about copious free time.
\/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.029 / U:0.140 seconds]