    SubjectRe: RFC: capability to limit/allow access to various system info

    Casey Schaufler writes:

    > Capability granularity is a touchy issue. What you're proposing is
    > having seperate capabilities for READ and WRITE access to a set
    > Be wary of adding capabilities. One vendor decided to use seperate
    > capabilities for each possible thing and ended up with 330!

    That system, with 330 capabilities, was more correctly designed.
    Our system is broken. We have no safe way to "split" a capability,
    so we are stuck with the existing granularity.

    Linux capabilities are kernel-only too, while a great deal of
    security is handled in daemons and set-uid programs.
    We might as well just rip out all this complexity, since it isn't
    doing enough to eliminate special UID values. For example, there
    isn't a "connect to X server" or "edit /etc/passwd" capability.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.017 / U:25.908 seconds]