    SubjectRe: ANNOUNCE: Linux Kernel ORB: kORBit

    > > It was just an example. Basically, you'd be able to do in with just
    > > about any language that has ORBit bindings.
    > >
    > > Ben Ford wrote:
    > > > Why would you *ever* want to write a device driver in perl???
    > >
    > Precisely... but also, there could be a case where perl would make
    > sense. Consider an FTP filesystem. There performance is not dictated by
    > the speed of the language, it's limited by bandwidth. It could make sense
    > to write your almighty FTPfs like this:
    > 1. Prototype it in Perl, get all the bugs out.
    > 2. Rewrite in C in userspace, get all the bugs out.
    > 3. recompile/relink in kernel space with no source modifications
    > 4. ship product. :)

    Bad example, as (with codafs), you can do this safely & nicely without
    korbit. See
    I'm "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
    Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents at

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.019 / U:4.312 seconds]