    SubjectRe: ANNOUNCE: Linux Kernel ORB: kORBit

    On Sat, 9 Dec 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > Yeah... "Infinitely extendable API" and all such. Roughly translated
    > > as "we can't live without API bloat". Frankly, judging by the GNOME
    > > codebase people who designed the thing are culturally incompatible with
    > > UNIX.
    > Oh they are definitely unix people, but ORBit is about solving a very
    > different sort of problem to scribbling bits on a disk, or it was until very
    > crazy people got involved

    <shrug> From what I've seen in GNOME it's mostly about avoiding pipes
    religiously and putting everything and a kitchen sink into the same
    process. I'm not saying that it has no valid uses, but it definitely
    had contributed to the bloat in case of GNOME.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.028 / U:4.512 seconds]