SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Generalised Kernel Hooks Interface (GKHI)

Andi Kleen wrote:
> It will just help some people who have a unrational aversion against
kernel
>recompiles and believe in vendor blessed binaries.

An interesting remark Andi, especially in the light of your note to me
regarding your use of DProbes - i.e. you'd rather use DProbes to dump out
some info from the kernel than recompile it with printks.

I don't have an aversion to recompiling the kernel - it's great fun - I
love watching all the meeages go by, waiting with bated breath for a
compile error, which never seems to happen. Just like watching the National
Lottery, waiting for your own numbers to come up.

To be a little more serious, it's not recompilation that's a problem, its
re-working a set of (non-standard) patches together. I'm not that excited
by that - I'd rather develop new code than rework old. Anyway for a couple
of example scenarios see the response I made to Michael Rothwell. And by
the way, I absolutely agree with your approach to kernel problem solving -
but wouldn't it be a help if you didn't have to put a large or even
moderate effort into working the DProbes patch into some hot-off-the-press
version of the kernel?

Richard

Richard Moore - RAS Project Lead - Linux Technology Centre (PISC).

http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/linux
Office: (+44) (0)1962-817072, Mobile: (+44) (0)7768-298183
IBM UK Ltd, MP135 Galileo Centre, Hursley Park, Winchester, SO21 2JN, UK

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:45    [W:0.087 / U:0.020 seconds]