SubjectRE: Disk priorities...
Date
I wasn't so worried about a 'trick' in this situation.  I'm running
all the processes. Three of them were clean up and do book-keeping
processes that I didn't care so much about when they ended. The foreground
process was also mine -- so I'm not so worried about cheating at this
point.

Specifically, I'm talking about 'nice'd "down" processes -- things
I want to take lower priority over what I am doing in foreground. I'd
like that to apply to disk, cpu and network usage. CPU's are getting so
fast these days such that the bottlenecks are more and more becoming
how fast can you get the data to them. Disk drives with ms seek times
are a problem. The seek times on drives.

I don't think the disk ops have been tuned to minimize seeking,
have they? -- that'd be a good algorithm to use for same-disk-priority
disk requests.

We'd have to start thinking about disks as 'processors' and have
per-disk queues that are prioritized with the cpu constantly feeding
1 event ahead of the one the disk is currently processing, that way the
cpu can reorder disk operations as needed.

-l

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:39    [W:1.569 / U:0.012 seconds]