SubjectCancel APM events from userspace ?
Hi!

( kernel 2.2.14 )

I noticed that user-space APM clients ( receivers of APM events ),
usually apmd, can not cancel a pending standby or suspend request.
This would be usefull in some cases and the in-kernel clients
( apm.c/send_event() ) can do it.

What I want to do is to start a script ( by apmd ) when the power button
is pressed ( it sends a an APM_USER_SUSPEND event to the OS and when
the OS acknowledges it , the system goes into suspend ), which then executes
"shutdown -r|-h now" and signals apmd to reject the suspend mode
( maybe like "exit 1" -> cancel the event ; "exit 0" -> execute event ).

This way I can do a clean shutdown when the console locks next time :-)

BTW, some weird things I noticed on my Abit BH6 board :
When the power-button is pressed , an APM_USER_SUSPEND event
is sent to the OS. When the OS replys with
apm_set_power_state(APM_STATE_SUSPEND);
, the machine is powered off !

If I change the BIOS option "power button override" from Disabled
to Enabled , then it works as expected; it only goes to suspend,
to turn it off the button has to held for a few seconds.

The big problem is that even if no APM software is running ( like in DOS ),
the button has to by depressed for a longer period ( ~5 secs ) to turn the machine
off, so I wonder if this option can be switched by the APM driver in the OS ?
So it would be "instant off" unless changed by the OS to "only suspend".

--
David Balazic , student
E-mail : 1stein@writeme.com | living in sLOVEnija