SubjectRe: IRQ clash problems with 2.2.14 and 2.3.33?
On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 04:41:03PM +1100, Stuart Summerville (Deimus) wrote:
> still enabled, and used. When I boot the system, the bios system component
> summary screen reports that all three (graphics is labelled multimedia...)
> are running on irq 11. I'm not overly familiar with the way these irs are
^^^^^^^^^
> handled in such intel systems, but I'd assume that the bios would prefer tha
> they be different. I suppose that given that each device is actually on the
> same board, then sharing of irqs is possible, but.....????
>
> Just recently installed Redhat 6.1 on that box. After configuring the nic
> for bootp/dhcp ip address discovery, the kernel (??) would report that
> erroneous "signal 11"s were detected, & that an immidiate showtdown would be
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well, interrupts (irq's) and signals are quite different beasts.
Interrupts are notifications that hardware components send to the processor
(and thus to the driver software) to draw attention to specific events.
Signals (in a Unix context) are notifications the operation system (or some
other source) sends to a process. They have nothing in common, except
perhaps - they have numbers :-)

see 'man 7 signal' for infos about the latter.

sig 11 informs a process that it attempted to access unavailable/invalid
memory or similar. That can be caused by either: a broken program, or (more
probably when 'supposed to be well tested' programs are affected):
broken hardware (overclocked system, bad memory/processor/mainboard/pci....)

> done. Didn't seem to be any options in bios setup for forcing irqs per card
> or subsystem. Eventually doing manual config of ip settings solved the
> problem, although I fail to see how an ethernet driver doing bootp/dhcp

[...]

> problem right at the end of the file-copy process. The first time that the
> problem disappeared was when I turned of a scsi cdr drive before booting for
> the install... hmmm..... The bios of that box reports no such irq conflicts
> on boot.

again: raised signals are no irq-conflicts

Thorsten

--
| Thorsten Kranzkowski Internet: dl8bcu@gmx.net |
| Mobile: ++49 161 7210230 Snail: Niemannsweg 30, 49201 Dissen, Germany |