SubjectRe: Problem with kernel upgrading

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Khimenko Victor wrote:

> AV> "If" bit can be safely snipped. linuxconf is a pile of junk and relying
> AV> on it for anything other than eventual fsckup is insanity. Sad that it has
> AV> "linux" in name...
>
> LinuxConf can be useful sometimes. If you want to show that Linux also can be
> configured via point-and-click (of course you need to have good backup of all
> configuration files or sometimes even whole system before stating the beast :-)

Umm... I hope that you do not use it for such purposes - at least not on
Fridays. Few things are more pissing off than sitting in the office during
the weekend and cleaning the shit left by
I'm luser-friendly Acme Configurator(tm). You don't need to understand
WTF you are doing; as the matter of fact I won't let yo
Segmentation fault
kind of animal. And since it _does_ produce total fsckups you have
to check what did it produce anyway - otherwise you may notice that
something is wrong a couple of weeks later.

> AV> == ide-disk is not in the kernel, even if you have it as module it's
> AV> unlikely to do you any good since you have no filesystems mounted, so
> AV> there's nowhere to fetch the module from and ...
>
> initrd ?
Which would be a root fs in that case.

... and initrd is 01:FA. He has hda5 as root.

> P.S. Do you have ideas why swapon/swapoff/dd failed ? It's not so big problem
> to me (I can add format in Windows98 bootup script :-) but the whole thing
> looks like swapoff does not do right thing and it can be dangerous.

Could you check 2.3.39 or later?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.225 / U:1.208 seconds]