SubjectRe: Problem with kernel upgrading

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Khimenko Victor wrote:

> In <866abi$nbb$1@news.lucky.net> Sergey Zyuzin (Sergey@z-sergey.kiev.ua) wrote:
> > I've compiled a new kernel, installed it with Linuxconf.
>
> If you do not know how to install kernel without linuxconf you DEFENITELLY
> should not do this :-)

"If" bit can be safely snipped. linuxconf is a pile of junk and relying
on it for anything other than eventual fsckup is insanity. Sad that it has
"linux" in name...

> > Root partition is /dev/hda5
> > When it boots it sais:
>
> > Partition check:
> > request-module[ide-disk]:Root fs not mounted

== ide-disk is not in the kernel, even if you have it as module it's
unlikely to do you any good since you have no filesystems mounted, so
there's nowhere to fetch the module from and ...

> > hda: driver not present
> > VFS: Cannot open root device 03:05
> > Kernel panic: VFS : Unable to mount root fs on 03:05

... you are unlikely to do it anyway, since your root filesystem
is on IDE disk and chances to read anything from there without ide-disk
are, erm, not too exciting.

> > And it hangs. What's the problem?

WTF were you thinking about when you placed the driver of IDE
disks into module living on IDE disk? Think a bit - how it was supposed
to be loaded, by magic?
Send linuxconf to the place where the sun never shines and read
/usr/src/linux/README.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.049 / U:0.528 seconds]