SubjectRe: > 15,000 Simultaneous Connections -- This is Great! ... Who's going to implement
> Mike Jagdis wrote:
> > On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Rogier Wolff wrote:
> >
> > > I would then prefer to go with the API that the digital guys suggested
> > > in: http://www.cs.rice.edu/~gaurav/papers/usenix99.ps
> > >
> > > #define EVENT_READ 0x01
> > > #define EVENT_WRITE 0x02
> > > #define EVENT_EXCEPT 0x03
>
> Note the typo: That should be 4.
>
> > > typedef struct {
> > > int fd;
> > > unsigned mask;
> > > } event_descr_t;
> > >
> > > int declare_interest (int fd, int interestmask, int *statemask);
> > > int get_next_event (int array_max, event_descr_t *ev_array, struct timeval *timeout);
> >
> > This is basically what I was thinking. However I think we want
> > to use the existing POLL* flags rather than these EVENT* values.
>
> Fine with me.
>
> I recommend going with a compatibility define to set the EVENT_
> variables to get a source-level compatibility with those other guys
> API.
>
> Even if there is just one other implementation, compatiblity wiht just
> one other is to be preferred to something unique to Linux.
>
> Roger.

1. I hope that someone follows through on the BSD like poll()
optimization.

2. This declare/event API is one of the coolest things I've seen in
years!
I've always found select() is quite kludgy and poll() seemed
inefficient.
However, I'm not really sure I like the API label
(declare_fd() & get_next_fd() would be my suggestion).

This is so cool I wouldn't mind implementing it myself. Does anyone
else think they can get a 2.3.17 based patch ready by the end of next
week? ;)

We _should_ be able to match the performance of Solaris 7 and AIX 4.3.3
even without this new API. With this API Linux will have the
_potential_
for unbeatable network performance!

--
Jonathan A. George ---
[Adjunct MIS Professor, Unix Developer, Linux Supporter]