SubjectRE: Universal Driver Interface spec available
Date

> Bret Indrelee wrote:
> > If you see something wrong, you should point it out. I know
> that there will
> > be another revision of the spec, they still need to work
> out all of the
> > bridge mechanics as well as a few other issues.
>
> Then why was a "1.0 final" spec released?

The specification is complete for everything that it covers. Right now,
there are some things that can't be handled by UDI that will be added in
future versions of the specification.

Your question is about like asking "Why do we need a UNIX98 specification
when we have POSIX?"

In my opinion, the group came out with a very workable specification. It
doesn't cover everything right now, but it does cover the dominate devices
such as disk and network interface cards. They had to get it out there so
more people could start implementing with it.

> > The drivers in UDI do not do mutexs. If anything, it should
> make things
> > perform better on a real time system than they used to.
>
> So UDI drivers break on SMP systems? Or will Linux UDI lock
> the entire
> kernel while its doing its work?

The UDI implementation does the locking, not the device driver. The device
driver just uses the regions. If for some brain-damaged reason a UDI
implementation decides to only have a single lock for every device, that
isn't because of anything in the UDI specification. It would just be a bad
implementation of UDI.

The current bugs with SMP drivers changing the current state would be fixed
in the UDI implementation software, not each UDI driver using it. Fix it in
one source file, not each driver that comes out.

-Bret

SBS Technologies, Connectivity Products
... solutions for real-time connectivity

Bret Indrelee, Engineer
SBS Technologies, Inc., Connectivity Products
1284 Corporate Center Drive, St. Paul MN 55121
Direct: (651) 905-4731
Main: (651) 905-4700 Fax: (651) 905-4701
E-mail: bindrelee@sbs-cp.com http://www.sbs.com