SubjectRe: Ext3 filesystem info?

> From: Chuck Campbell <campbell@neosoft.com>
> On Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 08:32:40PM +0100, Alex Buell wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> >
> > > There is a 0.01 release which came out 1-2 weeks ago. It was against
> > > 2.2.2, and has bugs which have since been fixed. I imagine that
> > > Stephen will be releasing a new version fairly shortly.
> >
> > Just out of interest, will there be tools to convert from ext2 to ext3?
>
> cp?, tar?, dump/restore?
>
> I'd really rather see someone qualified work on finishing a stable journalled
> file system, and spend my own time converting with anything that will work.

Check the readme in ftp://ftp.linux.org.uk/pub/linux/sct/fs/jfs/README
for complete details and disclaimers.

Setting up a ext3 is straightforward. partial extraction:

Now, you want to make a journaled filesystem (recommended) or journal an
existing one (for the exceptionally stupid/brave). Great. Go right
ahead, make a new ext2 filesystem if you need to, and mount the
filesystem you want to journal.

Be aware that the jfs patch does _not_ change the ext2 code. Rather, it
makes a copy of ext2 called ext3, and all the fancy footwork takes place
in that. You don't have to run ext3 on all your valuable filesystems:
just use it on the throwaway ones.

Now, create a journal file. I don't know how big it should be yet: the
rules of thumb have yet to be established! However, try (say) 2MB for a
small filesystem on a 486; maybe up to 30MB on a bit 18G 10krpm
Cheetah. Or whatever you want. You'll need to make sure that the file
is preallocated, so use something like:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/sparefs/journal.dat bs=1k count=10000

assuming you want a 10MB journal on a 1k ext2 filesystem mounted on
/mnt/sparefs. You need to find the journal inode's inode number, too:

ls -i /mnt/sparefs/journal.dat

For a newly created filesystem, this will probably show

12 journal.dat

OK, 12 is the expected number for a clean fs.

Now, umount as ext2. Take a deep breath. Now mount as ext3, giving it
the inode number of the file to be mounted as a journal:

mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb2 /mnt/sparefs -o journal=12

Bingo. That's it. Enjoy!