    SubjectRe: Integration of pcnet_cs into drivers/pcmcia
    Hi!

    > > pcmcia is initialized _after_ initcall()'s are done, so I suspect it
    > > would not work. There's probably good reason: pcmcia_init() needs to
    > > know what areas are allocated.
    >
    > Normally it should not, actually. pcmcia_init() doesn't check or
    > allocate any resources until the cardmgr daemon is started. I also
    > try not to rely on other drivers correctly allocating device resources
    > anyway, since the Linux resource maps are generally incomplete.

    Ok then. We can call pcmcia_init() before other initcall-s and make
    normal drivres initcalls().

    > And there are still decisions to be made. Like, drivers/net/pcmcia
    > seems sensible, but do we also want to mirror that in the module tree
    > with /lib/modules/.../net/pcmcia? Or do they go in modules/.../net,
    > or modules/.../pcmcia? This impacts the user-mode PCMCIA stuff, so
    > I'd want to be involved in that decision, rather than having people
    > dropping PCMCIA drivers into the kernel tree as they see fit.

    (This is not yet issue for me because I want my kernel standalone, no
    modules).

    IIIt should be drivers/pcmcia/net, like we have drivers/sbus/char and
    drivers/acorn/net. Perhaps everything from them should go to
    modules/.../pcmcia, but I do not really care.

    Pavel
    --
    I'm really pavel@ucw.cz. Look at http://195.113.31.123/~pavel. Pavel