    SubjectRe: Integration of pcnet_cs into drivers/pcmcia
    On Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 09:44:49PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > pcmcia is initialized _after_ initcall()'s are done, so I suspect it
    > would not work. There's probably good reason: pcmcia_init() needs to
    > know what areas are allocated.

    Normally it should not, actually. pcmcia_init() doesn't check or
    allocate any resources until the cardmgr daemon is started. I also
    try not to rely on other drivers correctly allocating device resources
    anyway, since the Linux resource maps are generally incomplete.

    > Integrating it was rather easy... I do not think much thinking is
    > required. And - bulkmem is already there, is it? ;-). I can not see
    > anything wrong with one_driver_at_a_time approach.

    bulkmem is not a driver, it is a middle-layer for accessing memory

    The wrong thing about one_driver_at_a_time is that it will be quite
    confusing for people who want to use PCMCIA, if one (or a few) drivers
    are found in the kernel tree, and the rest are elsewhere.

    And there are still decisions to be made. Like, drivers/net/pcmcia
    seems sensible, but do we also want to mirror that in the module tree
    with /lib/modules/.../net/pcmcia? Or do they go in modules/.../net,
    or modules/.../pcmcia? This impacts the user-mode PCMCIA stuff, so
    I'd want to be involved in that decision, rather than having people
    dropping PCMCIA drivers into the kernel tree as they see fit.

    -- Dave Hinds

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.022 / U:14.716 seconds]