Subject2.2.11 ppp slowdown && issues
I have been looking at the kernel archives and browsing the
issues with 2.2.11 as I have been using 2.2.11 for a while now.
It seems that there are many problems with the 2.2.x kernels and
I have had a few.

I have a few questions about the kernel in general and in
specific.

1) With 2.2.11 there were some post release patches. Do I need
to apply all these patches or just the ones that seem specific
to my system? How will this affect upgrade patches to 2.2.12?

2) I have applied 1 of the 4 patches that was specific to TCP,
and my system has been up for 2 days so far, without a crash.
Before the patch my system froze after 1.5 days uptime.
a) I used to experience ppp connection slowdowns at about 5
minutes (or less) after connection, now that has changed to
after about a 40min to 1 hour connection the ppp link just
starts to go to a crawl, and ping wont ping. I have to
disconnect then reconnect. Is there still a leak somewhere or
should I be checking my hardware?
b) I have had a ton of ppp problems too, like ppp not dying
when I disconnect, a flood of characters come into the buffer
after I attempt to disconnect (string of garbage). The 2
computers do not exchange tones correctly upon connection, they
start to then my modem just seems to "scream" and hang until I
kill pppd.
** If anyone else is experiencing this kind of behavior
please e-mial me and let me know.

3) One of the messages that I had read had mentioned the
backporting process from 2.3 to 2.2. Basically that feature in
development kernels get ported to stable kernels, thus
potentially making stable kernels less stable. I understand the
reasoning on this, but am more interested in the determining
factor of WHAT (what not who) makes it from 2.3 back into 2.2
kernsl or what was the determining factor of what made it from
2.1 to 2.0?
** If the answer is Linus decides then this question can be
directed to him.

I must admit that the 2.2 kernels area getting better, but it
seems like I am experiencing more severe problems than I did
with the 2.0 kernels.

Joe