SubjectRe: ARP (mis)behavior
Date
In article <199908211612.UAA09723@ra.sai.msu.su> you wrote:
> > I would conclude that there are just to many "bad" things that could
> > happen if interfaces respond to ARP requests for IP's they are not
> > configured for. Because of the advent of switches (both layer 2 and
> > layer 3) I believe the only "correct" behaviour would be for ONLY the
> > interface that was configured for a particular IP address to respond to
> > ARPs for the IP address. May be this is not addressed in any current
> > RFCs, but I can't think of a reason this "standard" should not be
> > implemented in Linux.

> I am completely agree with this opinion, and I'd like to add one point.

Well, this wont work if the request is received on a interface where the
ip-address is not configured. In that case the host cant respond with the
right mac address. And since the host does not know which nic is on which
cable the host has to answer for an request received on one interface with
the address of that interface if it was any of the local addresses.

Greetings
Bernd

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.083 / U:0.156 seconds]