SubjectRe: Anti-SPAM Suggestion...
I would just like to add support to everything Mike Harris is saying.

I imagine this thread alone has already cost you all more time and
effort than the spam, apart from the one poor soul who's actually
dealing with it.

I speak as one who skims the list pretty regularly, via the archive at
kernelnotes.org, but certainly doesn't want to get it in my mailbox.
I also occasionally post to it, when I have a particularly awkward
kernel problem or a possibly useful patch.

Any of the heavyweight solutions will just worsen my already rather
bad record of remembering to tell anybody about problems and fixes.
The "subscriber or put [lk] in subject line" is about the only
automatic solution that seems lightweight enough. Moderating from
non-subscribers is also fine, but requires people to do it (*reliably*).

I suspect that these attacks are not going to become much more
frequent. When they do happen, it's obviously worth talking to the
managers of the lists being subscribed to, and suggesting that they
adopt the increasingly common "subscribe and then confirm with unique
cookie" approach.

Incidentally, Riley Williams suggested that it is unusual, stupid, and
little short of declaring oneself a spammer to use multiple email
addresses. This is ridiculous. Anybody who has the benefit of a mail
system allowing such a facility, and the nous to use it, does so.
For example, if I were to subscribe to linux-kernel, I would do so
as jcb+lk@dcs.ed.ac.uk . This *guarantees* that I can identify
linux-kernel traffic to me, regardless of what the mailing list
manager decides to put in the headers today, with no false negatives,
and the possibility of false positives only if I happen to release
that address somewhere else---which I would do if I actually *posted*
as jcb+lk@dcs.ed.ac.uk. (Obviously that address is now "poisoned"...)
I also do this when subscribing to online services: thus if they turn
out to be mad spammers in disguise, I can just junk mail to that
address for ever more, and not have to worry about it.
This is far too useful a feature to dismiss as "only used by
spammers".

Also, of course, I have active accounts on three or four different
systems, but I only want mail to go to two of them.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.071 / U:1.504 seconds]