SubjectRe: Linux cd eject bug
On Tue, Jul 06 1999, Ville Herva wrote:
[ejecting a mounted cd]
> I had a quite opposite problem with 2.2.10 (stock). I was playing an audio
> cd with xmms, and after a while xmms hung. Xplaycd still play the cd as
> would just pressing play on the cd drive, too. I could even extract data
> with cdda2wav.
>
> But the cd would not eject.
>
> I looked at the listing fuser /dev/cdrom gave to me, it showed a few of
> the xmms prosesses (it launches 4-5) were using the device. Nobody else.
>
> So I kill -HUP'ed the xmms prosesses. I killed them. I even killall
> -KILL'ed xmms as root dozens of times. One xmms process was still using
> the device, and another xmms process was in zombie state. eject -f or
> hitting the eject button on the drive anything I tried did not help.
>
> So basicly I could not get the cd out without reboot.

The CDROMRESET ioctl would probably have unlocked the door.

> I realise this report is of poor value as such, the situation is propably
> impossible to reproduce for you, and possibly hard to produce for me, too.
>
> However, I would like to know if there is something I could do to debug
> this if it reoccurs.
>
> The drive is a crappy Cyber Drive 24x with which I've had other
> difficulties. While playing audio it sounds like it was crunching stones (
> the audio signal -- although the drive itself sounds like that too. The
> sound can sometimes be remedied by tapping and shaking the drive, which
> would suggest a mechanism fault or something. This weird, because cdda2wav
> usually rips quite well -- never these kind of noises.)
>
> This time, though, I don't think it was the drives fault, since it happily
> ejected the cd as soon as I rebooted the machine.

I don't know what exactly to make of this. Somehow the process
got stuck in the driver and the drive then nevet got released. A
stack trace of the process would probably be useful - you could
do that with the KDB debugging patches, for example.

--
* Jens Axboe <axboe@image.dk>
* Linux CD-ROM Maintainer