    SubjectLinux cd eject bug
    From: Jens Axboe <axboe@image.dk>
    Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 00:18:09 +0200
    Subject: Re: ejecting a mounted CD (linux 2.2.10; vmware 1.02)

    > On Sun, Jul 04 1999, Weasel wrote:
    > > [1.] One line summary of the problem:
    > > I could eject a mounted CD. The problem occurs iff vmware has been
    > > run at least once.
    >
    > Take it up with the VMWare people first, then let me know they
    > point the other direction.
    >
    > - --
    > * Jens Axboe <axboe@image.dk>
    > * Linux CD-ROM Maintainer

    I had a quite opposite problem with 2.2.10 (stock). I was playing an audio
    cd with xmms, and after a while xmms hung. Xplaycd still play the cd as
    would just pressing play on the cd drive, too. I could even extract data
    with cdda2wav.

    But the cd would not eject.

    I looked at the listing fuser /dev/cdrom gave to me, it showed a few of
    the xmms prosesses (it launches 4-5) were using the device. Nobody else.

    So I kill -HUP'ed the xmms prosesses. I killed them. I even killall
    -KILL'ed xmms as root dozens of times. One xmms process was still using
    the device, and another xmms process was in zombie state. eject -f or
    hitting the eject button on the drive anything I tried did not help.

    So basicly I could not get the cd out without reboot.

    I realise this report is of poor value as such, the situation is propably
    impossible to reproduce for you, and possibly hard to produce for me, too.

    However, I would like to know if there is something I could do to debug
    this if it reoccurs.

    The drive is a crappy Cyber Drive 24x with which I've had other
    difficulties. While playing audio it sounds like it was crunching stones (
    the audio signal -- although the drive itself sounds like that too. The
    sound can sometimes be remedied by tapping and shaking the drive, which
    would suggest a mechanism fault or something. This weird, because cdda2wav
    usually rips quite well -- never these kind of noises.)

    This time, though, I don't think it was the drives fault, since it happily
    ejected the cd as soon as I rebooted the machine.

    -- v --

    v@iki.fi

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.023 / U:0.108 seconds]