    Subjectre: Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:01
    Thanks to all of the people who wrote me directly to help me with my problem.
    It turns out that Caldera loads modules from the initial ram disk (initrd),
    which I did not update when I recompiled the module for SMP. Once I compiled in
    support for my SCSI card, and stopped relying on the ram disk, it booted just
    fine. I will write up a note to this effect and pass it on to Caldera so that
    no one else need fall in this trap.

    Total time to solve this problem, with the execellent user support on this mail
    list: 2hrs 30minutes, including ~ 1 hour to actually rebuild the kernel.

    Thanks for making my first serious Linux experience a pleasure...

    John Peacock

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.020 / U:0.520 seconds]