Subjectre: Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:01
Thanks to all of the people who wrote me directly to help me with my problem.
It turns out that Caldera loads modules from the initial ram disk (initrd),
which I did not update when I recompiled the module for SMP. Once I compiled in
support for my SCSI card, and stopped relying on the ram disk, it booted just
fine. I will write up a note to this effect and pass it on to Caldera so that
no one else need fall in this trap.

Total time to solve this problem, with the execellent user support on this mail
list: 2hrs 30minutes, including ~ 1 hour to actually rebuild the kernel.

Thanks for making my first serious Linux experience a pleasure...

John Peacock

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.093 / U:0.464 seconds]