SubjectRe: Problem w/ 2.2.10-ac12 & NCR53c875
Gerard Roudier wrote:
> And, in case of people would ignore it, I have had to diagnose the problem
> by myself and I donnot have an Alpha machine, neither really know of the
> Alpha stuff, since the solution was very slow to come.

Many thanks for your time in investigating this, even though the problem
turned out to not be in your driver. It actually didn't take long for
you, Richard Henderson, and Jay Estabrook to zero in on the problem after
I reported it on 7/20, and I see that reverting core_pyxis.c has been
suggested as a temporary fix several times on Linux-Kernel since that time.
I should have been more careful with credit in responding to "DumbKid;"
all I did for the problem was report it, and verify a proposed solution.

> The solution is known since almost a week, and I didn't see any official
> fix for it posted to the lists by the maintainers of the offending code.

I don't think that this is the permanent solution. The PCI windows were
moved for a reason (probably having to due with larger memories or newer
Alpha architectures), so reverting "core_pyxis.c" can only be a temporary
fix.

> If the reason is that this bad changes in the pyxis_core stuff only affect
> the sym53c8xx devices and only on Alpha machines and thus guys think it is
> not important, then they just appear as not interesting people to me. I am
> wondering about what would have happened facing a bad change that affected
> also (or only) Adaptec devices on Intel platforms.

Well, this is why I take the time to try patches (though not every patch)
on my Alpha, even though I have little time to do so. It's part of the
burden those of us with more atypical systems have to assume, to insure
that our systems remain supported. And in this case, such testing and
reporting paid off, though I'm puzzled like you as to why an "official"
patch hasn't appeared. Perhaps folks are waiting for Alan Cox to return
from his travels.

> Gérard.

-Ed

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.145 / U:0.224 seconds]