    SubjectRe: FS corruption... some help maybe??
    +> On Wed, Jul 21, 1999 at 12:17:43PM +0200, Herbert Wengatz 42850 wrote:
    +> > +> > my system is only up max of 16 hours a day and then a manual
    +> > +> > shutdown (till I get a UPS then I'll set up an automagic reboot
    +> > +> > on sundays at midnight or something)
    +> > +>
    +> > +> You clearly have been using Microsoft Windows (NT/9x) to much. that
    +> > +> Microsoft OS does need regular re-boots, but there is no reason to re-boot
    +> > +> a Linux system just to re-boot it. I can understand turning it off when
    +> > +> you aren't there without a UPS, but when you get a UPS, just leave it up
    +> > +> 24/7. There is "almost" nothing that a re-boot can fix that cant be fixed
    +> > +> by using other tools like ifconfig, etc... It is not uncommon to see
    +> > +> uptimes well in excess of 70 days. I have heard of Linux 1.2.x systems
    +> > +> staying up for longer then a year ( and by this time, this might include
    +> > +> 2.0.x systems also)
    +> >
    +> > I can only support that! - I have an old 486 with 133 MHz at home, working as
    +> > a gateway for me at home. I had it running for the first time with a Linux
    +> > kernel version 2.0.30 for about 96 days, when it crashed. - The reason was -
    +> > oh, no! - Not Linux! It was a broken CPU-fan! - I used this occasion, put in
    +> > a more silent fan for the power supply, as well as another harddisk and
    +> > upgraded to 2.0.36. - Since then, I never rebooted the system again. It
    +> > currently has an uptime of about 165 days and I expect it to run far longer.
    +> > My only fear is a powerfailure or that that bloody CPU-fan will break again.
    +> >
    +> > Can you tell me, what use rebooting is?
    +>
    +> Maybe because of nightly running applications, not releasing
    +> shared memory and other IPC stuf, producing amazingly zombies,
    +> preventing useful tasks to run (such as backup & Co).
    +> Yes, scripts could be written to attempt to cleanly put
    +> things up, but usually the best way is to reboot regularly.

    You are *defintely* WRONG ! - Believe me.

    Best is, to debug those programs which are not releasing the "shared memory
    and other IPC stuff, producing *amazingly* zombies". - Or to switch to applications
    which don't behave this way.

    Any program not freeing it's shared memory when exiting (not important for which
    reason, whatsoever) is IMHO *broken*.- Same goes for zombie-producers.

    If you are suffering from such stuff - go and fix it!!!

    This will dave a lot of your time and nerves.

    Rebooting is *definitely* NO SOLUTION at all. - You may call it a bad habit from
    Micro$oft-infested sysadmins, or in the best case, it's a minor and dumb workaround,
    but is IN NO WAY a SOLUTION, since it SOLVES _nothing_.

    +>
    +> And, with Linux + autofs, taking into account dynamic modifications
    +> of the NIS automount tables is possible without rebooting but
    +> is quite painful with 100 or so machines. Sun's automount is
    +> much better in reconfiguration...

    OK. So there you have it. - Linux' automounter has to become more stable and
    as you say not as good configurable as Suns automount. - This is a point where
    Linux can improve. - Go and tell or better help the people who work on that!

    I'm working here with 800+ Userworkstations (Sun's), not counting the servers...

    +> However, whenever we can keep the uptime rising, we do it :-)

    Great to hear this! :-))))) Keep up this intention!

    A really smooth runnning network really satisfy you, when you can reach this.
    Try to make everything "automagically" working. - When you have cronjobs which
    send mails, set up a filter which starts the matching counter measures.
    Write lots of cronjobs and atjobs. - This will keep a lot of problems away from
    you. And this will save you a lot of time which you can spend for more interesting
    and important stuff.

    +> >
    +> > At work (where I use Sun workstations) I have three machines (USER-Workstations!
    +> > Where there are sitting users at the thing, logging in and out and crashing
    +> > their applications all day long ;) ) - and these three machines have an
    +> > uptime of far more than 280 days!!!!! (one is over 290 !)
    +> >
    +> > Can anybody please show me *any* NT-User-WS with such uptime?

    Singin' with Elton John: "I'm still standing..." ;-)))))

    Best regards,

    Herbert

    The first time Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck, is when
    they start making vacuum cleaners.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.037 / U:148.832 seconds]