SubjectRe: New kernel/resource.c
On 16 Jul, Linus Torvalds wrote:
+-----
| On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Jonathan Walther wrote:
| > I'll submit to your decision here, but I hope we don't become too
| > PC-centric. I thought you were moving towards broadening the scope of the
| > kernel... The FreeBSD guys did the same thing, they let PC-isms creep into
| > their "system".
|
| THE NEW RESOURCE MANAGER IS DESIGNED TO BE GENERIC!!
|
| You can have a "pci_io_resource" and a "vme_area_resource" active at the
| same time. And a "sbus_area_resource". And ANYTHING. It doesn't even have
+--->8

Okay, I think the problem is that it sounds like pci_io_resource etc.
are the *top* level. If I understand this correctly, you have a
resource tree something like what OS/2's resource manager presents:

Resources
Bus 1
Resource 1
Resource 2
Bridged bus 1
Resource 3
Bus 2
Resource 4

(Non-leaf nodes might have a flag saying "addresses under this node are
independent of other nodes", to deal with ISA and PCMCIA bridges, etc.)

Somehow this has been coming across as "the top level is pci_... and all
other resources are under it", as opposed to "the top level is Resources
and so far the PCI resources have been moved to pci_...; someone else
has to do SBUS, etc.".

Am I understanding this correctly?

--
brandon s. allbery os/2,linux,solaris,perl allbery@kf8nh.apk.net