    SubjectRe: New kernel/resource.c

    On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Jonathan Walther wrote:

    > You are right. Thanks for your patience. I cast my vote for "pcbus"
    > instead of "pci". Love the resource concept.

    "pcbus" would certainly fit my requirement for being specific enough, and
    it's probably non-specific enough that others wouldn't jump up and down
    too much.

    However, at the same time it doesn't actually "say" much to me either.
    "ioport_resource" is fairly descriptive: the thing it guards are actually
    commonly called "IO ports". Compared to that "pcbus_io_resource" is too
    bland, and while it's logical it doesn't tell people who are used to the
    terminology exactly what's up.

    So I've already set my heart on "ioport". I don't know about "iomem",
    though: nobody calls memory-mapped accesses "IO memory" accesses. "PCI
    memory" actually describes at least to me exactly what it's all about,
    which is why I liked "pci_mem_resource". "pcbus_mem" lacks that mental
    image for me.

    Oh, well. It's just a name. Or two, actually.

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.023 / U:62.272 seconds]