SubjectRe: need multiple e2fsck runs

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, Rogier Wolff wrote:
>
> >It seems that there are bits falling over in memory on your
> >machine. So fsck counts the bits in a bitmap block, and comes one
>
> Harald never got Oops and from his feedback it seems he is not
> experiencing plain MM corruption. He see only fs corruption so maybe
> something is wrong in the NCR/scsi controller side?

I have decided not to provide any patch that address the ncr/sym drivers
until the cause(s?) of fs corruption will be cleared up. But users can
try patches that are available at ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/roudier.
(Serious known bugs excepted, obviously)

By the way, some of the available patches need some vi or sed trick in
order to be usable and I never received any report about the problem.
This let me think that they haven't been ever tried.

Obviously, something may be wrong in the drivers and for sure there are
bugs in this code, but tracking problems using numerous different kernel
versions at the same time and sometimes from different sources is the
wrong way in my opinion to track such a problem. Wrong also is the adding
large and dangerous patches on a program that experience such serious
problem, assuming that they can only be safe.

The best way to make sure to stay in place is to try running in all
directions at the same time. ;-)

Gérard.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.609 / U:0.176 seconds]