    SubjectRe: RFC: Devices, buses and hotplug
       Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 15:21:58 -0400
    From: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com>

    Is this the case on PPC too though? Many of the LinuxPPC machines
    out there are leagues slower than UltraSparc and may not do this
    sort of thing. From what I understand that is the logic behind the
    'READx_WORKS' code at the beginning of drivers/video/matroxfb.c.

    UltraSparc is fast enough that any sort of software byte swapping
    shouldn't matter anyway...

    I never got down to facts about whether it was an issue of the PPC
    supporting it in HW or the PPC developers just mis-designed their
    framework and now require big endian friendly devices just to work.

    My intuition is the latter, I remember the PPC having HW facilities
    just like I described for UltraSparc.

    And if this is in fact true, see where beginning to put the device in
    big endian mode gets them? Now they have this ugly dependency there,
    which they could have foregone from the beginning.

    Later,
    David S. Miller
    davem@redhat.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.020 / U:31.184 seconds]