SubjectFTP benchmark proposal
Folks, I was reading the press release at

http://www.cdrom.com/press/wcarchive_milestone.phtml

did the math, and came up with the rather impressive number of 16.8MB/sec
sustained over a 24 hour period. That's really bloody amazing. I have
to hand to the FreeBSD guys, that's an impressive number. I'm not
positive that Linux can do that but I sure as heck want to find out.

My understanding is that they limit the load to 6000 users, so you can
work forward to see what the load per user is. I also understand that
this is all going through a single Gbit ethernet interface.

The proposal is this:

a) get VA or Penguin to sponsor the hardware and the test lab,
I'll talk to them and try and make that happen.
b) create a test lab with enough clients to generate the load
with a setup like so:

[ server ]

gbit

[ router ]
/ / \ \
/ / \ \
/ / \ \
c c ... c c

with each of the "c" machines masquerading as a pile of clients. The
reason for that is that we want to generate the real pcb lookup load
on the server so it has to think that it is talking to 6000 clients.
c) then create a workload that moves the data and see what happens.
Either I'll do this or I'll work with someone to do this. I have a
lame start at it already.
d) put all of this behind a benchmark.valinux.com firewall and give
developers ssh access into the playpen.

Any interest in this? Seems like it would be a cool setup for this and
for http test loads. And once we get it going, it might be a nice setup
to challenge microsloth with...

--lm

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.286 / U:0.264 seconds]