SubjectRe: Process memory vs. total vm, resource limiting?
Date

Hi!

> The surprise #1 is that the dynamic alloc succeeded,
> even if the memory requested by the process was
> more than total amount of vm in the machine. I find
> the assumption that the process won't be using all
> of the requested memory a bit too optimistic.
> Is there a possibility to change this behaviour?

It should be controllable by /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory.

actually I tested this on a RH6.0 box ( kernel 2.2.5 )
and setting overcommit_memory changed nothing,
I'm still able to alloc about 2GB of VM ,and the when I begin to fill up
more than ( RAM + SWAP) , then the system shows up these *BAD* symptoms.
Is this problem only present no 2.2.5 or on other kernels too ?

> When it consumed all of the available vm,
> it crashed with a bus error. This is _bad_ -

agreed.

This is unix, I'm afraid. You are expected to kill offending tasks
before memory starts going really low.

not possible in all cases ...

regards,
Benno

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.031 / U:0.048 seconds]