SubjectRe: Migrating to larger numbers
dlang@diginsite.com (David Lang)  wrote on 09.06.99 in <Pine.LNX.4.10.9906091900330.31322-100000@dlang>:

> I think this is a BAD idea.
>
> I had a problem a while ago with an AIX machine.
>
> 1 the firewall died (power supply), middle of the day, time to scramble
>
> 2. remove the hard drive, mount it in another machine to read config files
>
> 3. AIX forced us to change the partition named from /, /usr, /home, etc to
> /oldroot, /oldusr, /oldhome, etc

Just because AIX didn't implement it the right way, doesn't mean it's a
bad idea.

There's a reason I wanted to use more than just volume labels, you know,
that reason being to avoid exactly this problem.

Because I've seen it on Netware servers (the partition named SYS is the
one the system boots from, and you definitely don't want two same-name
partitions in the system).

We *do* have more info available, though. Uuids, disk serial numbers, all
sorts of stuff. Using those allows us to not run into that particular
trap.

> don't do anything to a partition that makes it hard to mount it somewhere
> else if you need to.

But we *don't* need to, for that scheme.

We're Linux, not AIX.

MfG Kai

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.075 / U:0.484 seconds]