SubjectRe: Migrating to larger numbers
sfrost@mail.snowman.net (Stephen Frost)  wrote on 09.06.99 in <Pine.LNX.4.05.9906092236260.146-100000@ns.snowman.net>:

> On 9 Jun 1999, Kai Henningsen wrote:
>
> > > I think perhaps I'm asking the wrong question. The problem I
> > > have is the whole /dev/sd?? stuff. devfs allows for /dev/dsk/c0t0...
> > > kind of addressing, which to me makes alot more sense and is easier
> > > for me to work with. I don't see a way to do this (currently) in
> > > user space.
> >
> > It's still the wrong way.
> >
> > Most of the time, you don't really want to say "the disk that is target 0
> > on controller 0".
> >
> > You want to say "the partition that belongs on /usr", or "the new Seagate
> > hd".
>
> Perhaps. I can much more easily equate the two using devfs than
> /dev/sd??. At the moment devfs is availible, is there a way to do what you
> are suggesting?

Partly. See my other mail to l-k where I describe this.

>For All filesystems, including root?

Root is currently a problem, but only because I don't use an initrd, I
think. Boot is another, and I don't see it there. That's BIOS and MBR
stuff.

> And also, what about
> all the other devices on a system? This isn't just about filesystems and
> scsi disks, though those are some of my major concerns.

There's nothing in the scheme I use that says it can't be expanded to
other devices.

MfG Kai

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.063 / U:0.412 seconds]