SubjectRe: generalizing khttpd
On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> > what about sendfile() for copying ? or rename() for moving a directory
> > tree ? if rename() can't do it, you're on different filesystems and that'd
> > require locking both. hairy..
>
> Being on different filesystems is the only situation I was talking about.
> What do you mean by "hairy.." ? That it cannot be done efficiently or
> what?

It can't be done in a manner, more efficient than in userland. If it's
for "atomic operation" sake, you can do the same by renaming within the
filesystem, then copying files ot another one, then renaming the directory
there, so it appears at once. If it's to make it impossible to have any
context switch until your operation finishes, it will make a very scary
DoS possible.

--
Alex