SubjectRe: Preparations for ZD's upcoming Apache/Linux benchmark
Hi all,

How about using the path to decide if the page is static or not,
instead of using hacks that will never be complete enough.

My idea:
- if the path a contains a directory named "static" then the page
is static and can be handled by khttpd. If khttpd is not running
it will work anyway, without polluting the environment with hacks.

Example:
$WEBROOT/logo.gif
will be handled by user space http server (if $WEBROOT does not contain
a "static" directory)
$WEBROOT/static/logo.gif
can be handled by khttpd if it is running.

=> Any page designer can decide (think private home pages), he would
know if a
page, gif ... is static or not.

Implementation details.

Searching for a specific string in a text are described in several text
books,
like Algorithms by Robert Sedgewick. One that I think is promising is
Rabin-Karp.

"Moving hash value" - can be compared to moving average over
characters. When it
matches you got a likely candidate, by using weights you could almost
avoid false
indications.

Regards,
Roger Larsson