SubjectRE: New Partition Type
Date
>As I see it, there are certain restrictions on what one can do when an
>oops occurs if one's still to be safe.

That's true, but we have the great advantage that the projected lifetime of
our universe is measured in milliseconds. When the world is about to end
like this (a "big crunch", as opposed to the big bang), we are in a
situation with some similarites to boot time. For one thing, we shouldn't
expect portability. This analogy leads me to think that, on i386 machines,
we should be looking at dropping down to the BIOS to get this done.

Is there some way we could return control to real (or V86) mode, just the
time required to make a few INT 13h calls ? If so, maybe it would then be
possible to move 512K or so of data to real-mode-accessible memory, drop
into real mode, call INT 13h to write 64K chunks to a pre-defined disk
partition, and go down in flames (maybe even with a good ol' OUT of FEh to
64h).

I'm not up to speed on what is possible in this area, so please be gentle
with the flamethrower.

Nick Brown, Strasbourg, France (Nick(dot)Brown(at)coe(dot)int)