SubjectSMP spinlock contention -- anybody have numbers?
I've had a difficult time trying to find the kernel-level overhead of
various SMP configurations. In my case, I'm particularly interested in
database-style loads (heavy network, few connections/s, large files, large
RAM) and how scalable Linux on Intel SMP might be. I'm particularly
interested in spinlock contention, as that nicely separates kernel-level
overhead from hardware- and user-level overhead.

Andrea Arcangeli's latest patches include a spinlock-measuring option, if
anyone wants to measure this now. It's at
ftp://e-mind.com/pub/andrea/kernel/ and includes a bunch of other stuff,
so use with care (Andrea, can you please separate out the spinlock
profiling patch?).

I know some people think it's only good up to 2, and others think it's
fine up to 4, and few think it's any good beyond that, but does anybody
have any measured comparisons, with actual numbers? I don't have any
quad-CPU machines around to test. I realize the overhead depends on the
application, but I don't even have a general idea of what to expect.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.162 / U:0.668 seconds]