SubjectRe: Q: PAGE_CACHE_SIZE?
On Fri, May 28, 1999 at 09:46:01PM +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> If we did in fact use the 4k minipage for all kernel get_free_page()
> allocations as usual, but used the larger 32k buddy heap pages for all
> VM allocations, then 8K kernel allocations (eg. stack allocations and
> large NFS packets) become trivial to deal with.
>
> The biggest problem we have had with these multi-page allocations up to
> now is fragmentation in the VM. If we populate the _entire_ VM in
> multiples of 8k or more then we can never see such fragmentation at all.
> 8k might actually be a reasonable pagesize even on low memory machines:
> we found in 2.2 that the increased size of the kernel was compensated
> for by more efficient swapping so that things still went faster in low
> memory than under 2.2, and large pages may well have the same tradeoff.

I'm working on Linux/MIPS64 and I intend to cleanup the code such that the
kernel can be built for different page sizes. I intend to benchmark
things for curiosity. Maybe it's some viable system tuning option, even
though a compile time one.

Ralf

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:1.563 / U:0.012 seconds]