Subject2.0.36 sound driver bug
I am using the "snd" sound editor to edit some gigabyte sound files.
Initially, I need to segment the sound file into tracks to be burned
on a CD. Snd allows me to skip around in the files and play from
various points, to find good places to put track boundaries.

The problem is, I can only listen to a few selections, say a dozen or
so, before /dev/dsp refuses to function any more. When snd attempts
to open it, the driver returns ENOMEM. The /var/log/messages file
says this:

Sound error: Couldn't allocate DMA buffer

This looks like a driver bug to me.

I am using an AWE 32 card and redhat 5.1 with the kernel upgraded to
2.0.36 using the source rpms from a redhat mirror. I recompiled to
turn on SMP, increase the ramdisk size, and install some NFS patches
that allow mounting NFS servers running on non-standard ports.
Initially the problem happened under 2.0.34; I upgraded in the hope
that this had been fixed in later kernels.

Joe Buehler

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.070 / U:0.620 seconds]