SubjectRe: updated proposal for cap in elf

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.990416122648.21111A-100000@millenium.salem.k12.va.us>,
"David L. Parsley (lkml account)" <kparse@salem.k12.va.us> writes:
> Hi all,
>
> My thinking on this implementation has been very fluid over the last
> several days; many have stimulated new thoughts for me, others have just
> made excellent suggestions. So thanks to all of you.
>
> Before I lay this out, let me say now that 'works over nfs' is _not_ a
> design issue for me; and not everybody agrees with this. I hope, however,
> that you will still read this and give it some consideration. It's really
> pretty short. Also, please read it through completely, as you will no
> doubt have issues as you read, but I may solve them later on.
>
> I think Ted's idea of using a new extended attribute bit to mark a file as
> capability-enabled is the best idea yet. The sticky bit idea was a bit
> broken, requiring the kernel to honor a once-useless (and non-priviledged)
> bit as now essentially all-powerful. To fix this, we tied in the
> immutable bit, but of course that means it can't be used for it's intended
> purpose. So now, for the kernel to honor capabilities encoded into the
> file being exec'ed, this 'cap-enable' flag must be set. Setting and
> unsetting this flag requires CAP_SETFCAP raised in the current process.
>
> This still raised problems with compatibility with current tools; this for
> me _is_ a design issue, as I don't want to do the enormous work to patch
> all the necessary tools. My thinking here is to have a settable kernel
> option (somewhere in /proc) for 'tool compatibility'. Setting this would
> cause the kernel to map the 'cap-enable' flag to the sticky bit (no, the
> sticky bit didn't completely die, but now it's completely harmless). That
> way, when you tar an archive, it would see the sticky bit as set, thus
> preserving the fact that the file contains capability encoding. Then, for
> unpacking, setting the sticky bit would again map to the cap-enable flag,
> and still require CAP_SETFCAP, without that cap, the bit just wouldn't be
> set. Note that while 'tool compatibilty' is set, the kernel ignores the
> actual value of the sticky bit (for files only; the sticky bit on
> directories should act as it always has); you also want this compatibility
> flag unset _most_ of the time, except, for instance, when installing new
> packages on the system which need the ability to set the cap flag. It may
> be possible to eventually remove this feature. I hope, too, that this
> solves people's issues with 'smuggling' cap-enabled binaries into the fs.
> (i.e., admin unpacks what he thinks is a harmless source archive).
>
> Finally, I also suggest a small change in the capability semantics.
> Currently, files have a capability set fE, which are the effective bits
> which immediately get raised for the file. Andrej Presern noted, and I
> agree, that this does nothing to enhance security, since an exploit can
> trivially raise all effective bits; they might as well be raised on
> execution for all current tools. Note that for capability-aware
> [...]

Hello,

I still don't see the need for more than the sticky bit if you introduce:

- remove sticky bit on write (solves user giving himself caps)
- Introduce a nosticky mount option that is the default
(solves the problem of going from an old to a cap-enabled kernel and
importing data from untrusted external sources (floppy mount, nfs mount
etc.))
.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:51    [W:0.344 / U:0.032 seconds]