Subjectsystem SLOOOWWW down on 2.0.37-ac5 SMP

We are running a thirty user terminal (ncurses) based application that
uses fairly large ISAM files (300-500 MB) and a fair amount of memory,
files open, locks open, etc per user. We are running this on a Compaq
Proliant 1600 (tlan net drivers, two Pent II 400's, ncr83c5X9 driver for
our external tape drive) with a DPT 3334UW controller with a RAID 5 array
on three disks. The box is a Redhat-5.2 box with the latest patches
running kernel 2.0.37-ac5 with SMP = 1. When it boots up both CPU's
report a normal bogomips reading and appear to be functioning properly.

Problem: Between 2-4 days after rebooting when the employees come in the
morning the system is incredibly slow. Using top it shows almost all the
load is system load (about 95%). We are forced to get everyone to log off
and reboot. Even with all users logged off the system load is incredibly
high. Then we kill our job scheduler (something like cron), still
incredibly slow. We've tried killing a number of the normal tcp and other
system services, etc... but it never recovers. Running shutdown takes
about half an hour because it is so slow, and it never speeds up after any
particular process is stopped in an rc script. We recompiled with
2.0.37-ac8 and turned off SMP on Friday and so far things are good
(crossing fingers).

Is this a known problem? What other things can I look at? There are no
relevant errors in any of the syslog files, no processes that seem to be
out of control, etc, etc...

Thanks for any assistance,

Jon Mitchell
Systems Engineer, Subject Wills and Company
jrm@swc.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.119 / U:0.176 seconds]