    SubjectRe: [ANN] new mailing list
    On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Steve Dodd wrote:

    > But the spam I know has been a big problem. Maybe NNTP servers with
    > authorisation? (People apply and get user names and passwords?). A right
    > royal pain in the ass, though.
    > Interestingly though, would gating the group to nntp at vger and using
    > ihave/sendme (or whatever is the 'best' inter-server protocol these days,
    > I'm out of date) to the exploders have any efficiency wins? Especially if
    > there was some way postings could go to the local exploder.. Hmm, I'm tired,
    > that could all be obvious nonsense. I'll shut up!

    Make it an automatically moderated newsgroup. Only subscribers to
    linux-kernel can post.

    This can be done automatically: posts get forwarded to the moderator which
    is a bot which checks the posting host against the list of subscribers.

    Quite a few newsgroups run like this.

    Shaw Carruthers -
    London SW14 7JW UK
    This is not a sig( with homage to Magritte).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.041 / U:3.844 seconds]