SubjectRe: [ANN] new mailing list
On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Steve Dodd wrote:

> But the spam I know has been a big problem. Maybe NNTP servers with
> authorisation? (People apply and get user names and passwords?). A right
> royal pain in the ass, though.
> Interestingly though, would gating the group to nntp at vger and using
> ihave/sendme (or whatever is the 'best' inter-server protocol these days,
> I'm out of date) to the exploders have any efficiency wins? Especially if
> there was some way postings could go to the local exploder.. Hmm, I'm tired,
> that could all be obvious nonsense. I'll shut up!

Make it an automatically moderated newsgroup. Only subscribers to
linux-kernel can post.

This can be done automatically: posts get forwarded to the moderator which
is a bot which checks the posting host against the list of subscribers.

Quite a few newsgroups run like this.

Shaw Carruthers -
London SW14 7JW UK
This is not a sig( with homage to Magritte).

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.052 / U:1.576 seconds]