SubjectRe: [ANN] new mailing list
Date
Aaron Denney writes the following:

>On Tue, 23 Feb 1999 11:06:45 +0000, Steve Dodd <dirk@loth.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> PS: are there any reliable nntp gateways for linux-kernel and friends out
>> there - or did they get closed to reduce the spam level?
>
>Public gateways are prohibited, but nothing stops you from setting up a
>private one

This is really dumb. Mailing lists suck, and this one in particular sucks a
lot because it's too damn big to be a mailing list. It really needs to be a
newsgroup. With a mailing list, every single article comes to my account even
though I'm only interested in 1/10 of them. With a newsgroup, I scan the
subject lines and select the ones I want, and the bulk of the rest of them
never come anywhere near me.

Mailing lists should be converted to newsgroups as soon as they have gotten
enough subscriptions to prove that there is general public interest in the
topic.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.109 / U:2.472 seconds]