SubjectDMA errors
I've seen an absurd number of people (including myself) complaining about
problems with DMA overruns, DMA not being able to grab memory below 16meg,
DMA not properly allocated, etc., and it seems to me that part of this is
due to the fact that every kernel module that uses DMA has to PROGRAM THE
DMA CHIP ITSELF!

Perhaps it would be a good idea to consolidate all this into a set of kernel
functions to access DMA. That way DMA would only be handled in one
place...resulting in fewer DMA-related bugs.

Has this been suggested before? Has anyone worked on it? Is there any
reason this might be a bad idea?

-- Bob

Bob McElrath (rsmcelrath@students.wisc.edu) Univ. of Wisconsin at Madison

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.025 / U:0.088 seconds]