SubjectRe: Routing Table (Feature)
On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Paul Jakma wrote:
> > maybe we should build some heuristics into the route command to
> > try and figure out when we should delete all duplicate routes,
> > and when not to.
> I think it's just a BUG plain and simple........

I don't believe you _can_ have duplicate routes. However the
new routing code includes attributes that "route" doesn't know
about. If you use "ip route" from iproute2 from
I think you will find the "duplicate" routes are actually different
and route simply makes a "best" (ahem :-)) guess at which was meant.

The trouble with all the changes in the ip layer is that there
is practically no documentation for it - and it *is* significantly
different from what people expect from 2.0 (and, for that matter,
existing HOWTOs and books which documented the 2.0 behaviour).
Personally I don't think it was a good idea to let this loose in
a stable kernel without _any_ documentation updates. But there
you go...
And, no, I don't understand it all enough to do some docs myself
even though I've rewritten diald's route handling several different
ways so far :-). And, yes, I still think some things are broken
for some people - especially those who don't have a complex routing
structure controlled by something like gated.

A train stops at a train station, a bus stops at a bus station.
On my desk I have a work station...
| Mike Jagdis | Internet: |
| Roan Technology Ltd. | |
| 54A Peach Street, Wokingham | Telephone: +44 118 989 0403 |
| RG40 1XG, ENGLAND | Fax: +44 118 989 1195 |