    SubjectRe: Routing Table (Feature)
    On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Paul Jakma wrote:
    >
    > > maybe we should build some heuristics into the route command to
    > > try and figure out when we should delete all duplicate routes,
    > > and when not to.
    >
    > I think it's just a BUG plain and simple........

    I don't believe you _can_ have duplicate routes. However the
    new routing code includes attributes that "route" doesn't know
    about. If you use "ip route" from iproute2 from ftp.inr.ac.ru/ip-routing/
    I think you will find the "duplicate" routes are actually different
    and route simply makes a "best" (ahem :-)) guess at which was meant.

    The trouble with all the changes in the ip layer is that there
    is practically no documentation for it - and it *is* significantly
    different from what people expect from 2.0 (and, for that matter,
    existing HOWTOs and books which documented the 2.0 behaviour).
    Personally I don't think it was a good idea to let this loose in
    a stable kernel without _any_ documentation updates. But there
    you go...

    And, no, I don't understand it all enough to do some docs myself
    even though I've rewritten diald's route handling several different
    ways so far :-). And, yes, I still think some things are broken
    for some people - especially those who don't have a complex routing
    structure controlled by something like gated.

    Mike

    --
    A train stops at a train station, a bus stops at a bus station.
    On my desk I have a work station...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.020 / U:29.512 seconds]