    SubjectRe: Routing Table (Feature)
    On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Paul Jakma wrote:

    > On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
    > The `ifconfig` command only deletes one. The command has to be executed
    > twice to delete the second one. The problem is that when my ppp link
    > is shut down, I do not add two identical routes back (nor should I).
    > The result is that the second time the ppp link is established, I will
    > get an error if I try to delete two routes. So, a work-around of
    > always deleting two identical routes doesn't work very well.

    Well I meant `route del...`

    > and if we change route to delete all the routes, then you'll nuke
    > your ppp route.
    > maybe we should build some heuristics into the route command to
    > try and figure out when we should delete all duplicate routes,
    > and when not to.

    I think it's just a BUG plain and simple........

    if((s = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_RAW, proto->p_proto)) != -1)
    memset(&rt, 0x00, sizeof(rt));
    rt.rt_metric = METRIC;
    rt.rt_mss = MTU;
    rt.rt_irtt = 255;
    rt.rt_flags = RTF_GATEWAY | RTF_UP | RTF_MSS;
    rt.rt_dst.sa_family = AF_INET;
    rt.rt_gateway.sa_family = AF_INET;
    rt.rt_genmask.sa_family = AF_INET;
    memset(&rt.rt_genmask.sa_data[2], 0xff, 0x03);
    makeaddr(ADDR(rt.rt_dst), network);
    makeaddr(ADDR(rt.rt_gateway), gateway);
    (void)ioctl(s, SIOCDELRT, &rt); <---- Temp fix
    (void)ioctl(s, SIOCDELRT, &rt); <---- Temp fix
    (void)ioctl(s, SIOCADDRT, &rt); <---- Temp fix

    while route -n | egrep ${MASK} >/dev/null ;
    route del -net ${NET} netmask ${MASK} dev ${DEV}
    route add -net ${NET} netmask ${MASK} dev ${DEV}

    These are BUG work-arounds.

    > or perhaps an "-amount_of_devices" parameter to route would be
    > more practical.
    > or maybe we should try put some AI stuff into the kernel to
    > always get the route that the user wants added in. surely an
    > improvement on the current kernel auto route add stuff.

    Heuistics always produce more problems than they solve.
    The fix is:
    ioctl(s, SIOCDELRT, &rt);

    ...must delete the route, not (a, some, or first) routing table
    entry. Once the function-call works correctly, everything will
    be fine.

    Dick Johnson
    Penguin : Linux version 2.2.1 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).
    Wisdom : It's not a Y2K problem. It's a Y2Day problem.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:50    [W:0.023 / U:0.564 seconds]