SubjectRe: Announce: DinX windowing system 0.2.0
On Thu, 23 Dec 1999, Pavel Machek wrote:

> How much does it add in terms of kernel size? How does it look
> performance-wise?

It's very small. It's all compiled as modules which you insmod quite
easily - dinx the main driver itself and several modules used specifically
with the 8bit, 16bit 24bit and 32bit modes. There is a /proc interface
too. There is a daemon which your programs connects to via the /dev/dinx*
devices to carry out windowing operations.

> ...which is exactly what you want to do on small systems.

The only things missing are bindings for toolkits such as GTK, Motif
(hehe), which means you can write apps that runs both on X11 and DinX by
simply recompiling - a huge plus when contending with PDAs such as Psion
5 and so on.

Cheers,
Alex
--

Legalise cannabis today! Got GnuPG? Ask me for public key.

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk - Redesigned as of 1999-12-21!